Wednesday, September 10, 2014

31DC2014 Day 10: Idea of Happiness Gradient


Hey everyone! It's already day ten of the 31 Day Challenge! I have been feeling pretty good and thought that maybe this year's Challenge would be much easier. Then I did today's mani and realized that this was the same point in the Challenge as last year that I started stressing out and losing sleep. Oh well, I knew what I was in for! 

Since I did a gradient mani for yesterday's Rainbow prompt, I didn't wan't to do another similar one for today's gradient prompt. Instead I did a design that I have been wanting to do for months, I just hadn't found the right time for it. My inspiration was the cover art for Van She's Idea of Happiness album.

image credit: vanshe.com

I have listened to this album over, and over, and over. I use it as my "think" music. I often struggle with writing my blog posts because I have a hard time concentrating. It doesn't help that my computer is in our living room and I have no privacy or peace. Add that to the fact that I'm easily distracted and I just can't get anything done. The second I start this album though, my brain is able to focus and the words start to flow. Strange maybe, but it works. It's my secret weapon to writing! Well, I guess it's not a secret anymore.


The title track Idea of Happiness is actually one of my least favorite songs on the album. My favorites are Coconuts, Jamaica, and Beat of the Drum.



Here on my thumb and middle finger is my second attempt at acrylic paints. I'm having so much fun with them! This would have taken much longer to do with nail polish. I'm not sure if I could have even gotten the same effect. 




I really struggled with the tie dye design. I thought it would be so easy and straightforward! I was wrong. Maybe it was how many colors I was using that made it so hard. After a few failed attempts on my nail, and a night to sleep on it, I woke up realizing I needed to use the decal technique.

So I got a plastic sandwich bag and did a few quick designs. Once they were dry I picked my favorite one and placed it on my nail. Sooo much easier that way!



Here's what I did for last year's 31DC2013 Gradient post, the perfect fall mani.

Which design is your favorite? The gradients really took a backseat here but I think they bring a good balance to the overall look.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!