Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Silvery Swoopy Stamping

First things first, you will notice my nails are decidedly shorter here. I have always had super thin nails, so growing them out that long has been quite an accomplishment for me. They were splitting badly and it was time to start fresh. I've been trying my bestest to care for them, and I'm still hoping they'll eventually get a little bit stronger.

Here is my first ever attempt with nail art stamping. If you have seen or done stamping before, don't judge me! If you have no experience with it, doesn't this look awesome?!


 View from a distance.


Close up.

You will notice, especially on my thumb, that the stamp design was too small for my nails. Apparently these fit other people, but mine are too gigantic? I know I'm not the only one that has this problem, so it's confusing why they're not all made bigger. The plate I bought is from Born Pretty and it was only $3, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. (The stamper and scraper together were $2)

Besides the design not being big enough, I think the grooves were also too shallow? It's hard to tell. Maybe it was just me, because some seemed to stamp better than others. There are varying qualities of stamping plates out there from what I've read, but I don't really know where these land in the spectrum.


I followed Sarah's stamping tutorial from Chalkboard Nails. It was really straightforward and easy to follow. Basically you just paint the polish in the design on the plate, scrape off the excess, stamp the plate, then stamp onto your nail!


Despite some of the issue I had here, it was SUPER fun! I am really looking forward to finding some better quality plates, and hopefully ones that fit!

What I used:
a england Sleeping Palace- purple base color (GORGEOUS color, I will have to give you a better look soon)
Sephora by OPI Queen of Everything- silver design
Out The Door Northern Lights Hologram (Silver) top coat
New Curve Design Nail Art Stamp Template M69

7 comments:

  1. Freaking awesome! Charlotte would love this! Where can I find it? Amazon? I seriously love this look. Your choice of polish was perfect, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Born Pretty Store. http://www.bornprettystore.com/stamping-nail-c-268_94.html

      Delete
  2. I love stamps! I don't use it often because it's so time consuming for me, and I mess up constantly, so I always end up starting over lol. The brand that I use is called Konad, and it's a very good quality. I suppose that it also depends on the consistency and formula of your polish as well, when determining the result of the stamp. I love Janelle from elleandish on Youtube, she has tons of stamping tutorials and is very informative. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Konad and will get around to trying some of their plates. I am going to check out Janelle next time I stamp. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. There is a nail polish called Queen of Everything?? How appropriate!

    Very pretty design. It reminds me of a long, flowy evening gown.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!